Downloading Colm's KMZ file

comments on, suggestions for, or just plain 'thanks' to Colm
Fenton
Site Admin

Downloading Colm's KMZ file

Post by Fenton » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:18 pm

Go to www.starforts.org/locations.html

Download and import into GoogleEarth.

The latest date that it has been updated will be shown on this page.

Make sure to check for updates ocassionally, as it's constantly being added to - when Colm finds the time!

Ginthus

Re: Downloading Colm's KMZ file

Post by Ginthus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:05 am

Am I doing something wrong? Why doest it import the kmz file into the browser? Do I need to convert it to some other format on GoogleEarth?

Fenton
Site Admin

Post by Fenton » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:53 pm

when you click the download icon, choose 'save file...', and download. Then go to wherever your downloaded files are stored, double click the The_Catalogue.KMZ file and it will launch GE and ask you at the end of your session whether to save it into GE or discard it. Hope that helps.

Ginthus

Post by Ginthus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Thanks, but my question wasnt about GE app. I wanted to import it into my maps on google maps web page. It allows me choose the file, but doesnt upload.

Colm

Post by Colm » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:20 am

Hi, I just had a look through Google Maps Webpage and it looks like you can only upload KML, CSV, XLSX, or GPX files and not KMZ files. I have just made a KML version of The Catalogue, it is a big file for Google Maps and some information may be missing but the bulk of it is there. I have sent the KML to you by email, let us know if it worked please.